Border Crossing

Please Note: The International border is closed to non essential travel through September 21, however this date can be extended. Refer back to this page often and refer to links below with border crossings updates. US residents can tour the US side and Canadian residents can tour the BC side of the International Selkirk Loop at this time. We ask that you BE S.M.A.R.T. and follow COVID-19 safety protocols as well as respect all guidelines put in place by local businesses, county, city, state and provincial entities.


Individuals entering Canada: American citizens need ID that proves two things: Citizenship and identity by way of a photo. Passports will be required as of June 1, 2009 to reenter the US. The following pieces of identification will serve as satisfactory proof of American citizenship to enter Canada: US Passport, or Birth Certificate (photocopies must be notarized), or certificate of naturalization or citizenship AND photo ID such as a drivers license. There are alcohol and firearms restrictions. Click here for more Canada Customs Info

Food Restrictions: Fruit – Apples, Pears, Peaches, Plums, Apricots, Nectarines. Vegetables – Corn on the Cob, potatoes (acceptable only in sealed US inspected bag). Meat: No restrictions.

Returning to Canada w/Purchases/Goods/Gifts: Individuals returning to Canada after 24-hours can claim up to $200 CDN worth of goods without duty; $800 after 48 hrs. After a 7-day absence, you are allowed to include goods that will follow you by mail or other delivery method.


Individuals entering US: As of June 1, 2009 only Passports or WHTI-compliant documents will be acceptable for entering the United States. WHTI-compliant documents are: US Passport Card, Enhanced Driver’s License, NEXUS Card, or FAST Card. Prior to June 1, 2009 a photo ID plus Birth Certificate are accepted.rykertscrossing

US Customs Info: or Returning to US w/Purchases/Goods/Gifts: Individuals returning to US in a 30-day period may bring $800/person of approved items and 1-litre (33.8 fl. oz) alcohol per person without paying duty. Locally grown fruit from Creston, BC allowed. To learn what items are restricted go to Minors traveling with people who are not their parents: (applies for Canada & US entries): Must have written authorization from parents along with phone numbers and ID such as notarized copy of birth certificate. As of June 1, 2009 US & Canadian citizens under the age of 16 need only present a birth certificate, Canadian Citizenship Card, or a naturalization certificate. Birth certificates can be an original, photocopy, or certified copy.

Traveling with pets: Dog & Cat owners may generally travel with healthy pets with current rabies vaccination certificate within the past 36 months.
For more general information: See the Go Northwest Border Information site.

For the final word check out the official Canada Border Services Agency and US Border & Customs Protection websites.

If you have specific concerns please call one the border station numbers listed below:

Border Crossing Stations on the Loop

State Crossing Route Telephone# Opens Closes To
Washington Crossings Frontier Hwy 25 N (509) 732-6215 Open 24 hours Paterson
Metaline Hwy 31 (509) 446-4421 8:00 am 8:00 pm Nelway
Idaho Crossings Eastport Hwy 95 N (208) 267-3966 Open 24 hours Kingsgate
Porthill Hwy 1 N (208) 267-5309 7:00 am 11:00 pm Rykerts
British Columbia Crossings Kingsgate Hwy 95 (250) 424-5391 Open 24 hours Eastport
Nelway Hwy 6 (250) 357-9940 8:00 am 8:00 pm Metaline
Paterson Hwy 22 (250) 362-7341 Open 24 hours Frontier
Rykerts Hwy 21 (250) 428-2575 8:00 am midnight Porthill